Tuesday 4 October 2011

Why Run?

Why Run?
Being a good ten years since I ran competitively it is interesting to say I can still remember the feeling of strained anticipation that courses through your body as you await the starter gun to blow. I remember the fright as it goes ‘bang’ that shakes you and your competition off the starting line and the smell of the gun powder. Running isn’t just about your physical fitness, there’s a certain psychology  to running that allows your mind to battle with your body to go just that little bit faster than your legs think are capable. Will power is the tool that allows you to really revel in the sport. You don’t have to run against competitors to experience this.  Set yourself a distance or set a goal for a length of time or distance in a time and you will find out just how important your will power is for yourself.

Seeing as I was writing about running I thought I’d give it a try and dug out my shorts and sadly neglected Asics. Having been a sprinter it is funny to say that long distance is totally different and yet the same. Your techniques are worlds apart yet you have the same mental struggle, the fire in your chest and legs (the reason you wonder why people run in the first place)… and the feeling as your second wind kicks in. your pain is gone and the adrenaline pumping through you is one so enlivening I’m sad to say I ever abandoned it.
If you have ever run, started but given up or even thought about it I challenge you to push to that second wind.
-A reactivated runner-
Reina

No comments:

Post a Comment